Friday, December 19, 2014

A Chair...


Growing up my family and I were what some people might have called “Baltimore Gypsies”: a nomadic clan traveling from house to house and side of town to side of town every two years or so.  By the time I was 15 we had lived on Schroder Street (west side), Vine Street (west side), Druid Hill Avenue (east side) Calvert Street (east side), Calverton Road (west side), Warwick Avenue (west side), Eagle Street (west side), Fulton Avenue, (west side), Furrow Street (west side), oh and there was a brief year in Hartford, Connecticut somewhere in there as well. Sometimes the moves were prompted by my mother becoming bored or growing out of love with a certain neighborhood but more often financial difficulties forced us to abandon a house we owed back rent on for a new abode. Despite so many moves, so many new schools and so many new friends, the moves were never sad occasions to me. They just meant news starts, new places to have Christmases and represented new chapters in my family’s life.
Much of the same continued when I got married at 20 years old. Working part-time at the bank while taking 18-college credits and with my new bride working part-time at the Children’s Place and part-time at the Body Shop meant that we made a combined 25k a year and shared a car whose right front axel often fell off when you hit a pot hole (true story).  So to say our living options were limited would be an understatement.  Our first “house” was a two-bedroom townhouse in Highland Village Townhomes. It was a gem: No A/C, No dishwasher, No backyard. But it did include mice all throughout the trash bin next door, random Saturday morning cookouts with loud Hispanic music blaring from our neighbors’ speakers and a frequent police presence but not in a cozy “care about the neighborhood/ Roland Park” sort of way.  The highlight was sneaking a window A/C unit into our bedroom so that our newborn son wouldn't die of heat exhaustion in the Baltimore July heat and we wouldn't have to pay extra for the rent. Owning a home seemed the farthest thing from possible: we just wanted some A/C.
Our second house was a bit nicer in the Dundalk of Anne Arundel County: Glen Burnie. It had some nice stuff: central A/C, a dishwasher, no mice. A cop even lived next door (nice ones who weren’t freaked out by young black men at night…). The only problem was across the street…where my in-laws lived. And while I love them dearly (I really have grown to love them) , living across the street from them was probably not the best idea we ever had.  Lets just leave it at that. (LOL)
When we found out we were having twins, we scrambled to find a 3rd house. We stumbled into Arbutus after a larger house in Brookyln Park was snatched away from us right before we were to move in (a blessing in disguise). Like Goldie-Locks and the 3 bears, this one felt “juuusst right”: Three bedrooms, a basement to store our things, a small backyard for the kids to play in. For the past five years, we’ve watched our family grow from 4 to 6 and we’ve done everything in it from hosting our first Thanksgiving and Christmases, Baby Showers and birthday parties. But like the two houses before them, we outgrew our townhome. With a son in high school, another nearing middle school and 5 year old twin girls with a growing wardrobe, it felt like we were living on top of each other. 
            Today we closed on our first home. It has rooms for both boys, a fancy closet for my wife (with apparently no room for any of my clothes) and a backyard big enough for the kids to rip and run for years to come. It's the kind of house I would have thought was never possible for me as I bounced with my family from house to house as a kid.  And as moving date draws closer, I am reminded of Luther Vandross who once famously sang, “A Chair is still a chair…even if there’s no onnnnneeee sitting there! But a chair is not houuussssee and house is not a home….” I finally get what Luther meant. I’m not looking forward to moving boxes and setting up new furniture but I AM excited to move our memories, our laughs, our tears and our special bond into a new space where they can continue to grow.  I’m excited and blessed to be able to help provide my family with the stability I sometimes lacked as a kid but more importantly, what I’ve come to realize is that long before we had a house, with all the love we share, we already had a home; and no house can provide that kind of stability.  









1 comment: